Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Raw Ice Cream?

I will admit that the sound of "raw" ice cream doesn't necessarily sound great. And, when I heard the ingredients, I was skeptical. But, when my sister made it for me, I was hooked!

 If you are looking for a great way for you or your kids to eat more raw spinach, this is definitely it. The original recipe is here, but I listed the ingredients that I used below, for your convenience.

Into a food processor (or blender that has a great motor), put:
  • 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
  • 12 oz frozen cherries
  • 1 frozen, ripe banana (peel before freezing!), sliced
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 cup vanilla Silk Lite soy milk


Process until smooth, taking time to stir around the ingredients and scrape the sides. Be patient--if you add more milk to help the flow, it will be less firm and more like a smoothie (and not as tasty, per my kids).



A blender will work, but the friction caused by the motor bogging down (unless yours is a good one) will, again, cause it to be more like a smoothie.



I used my food processor for this batch and it came out like very soft, soft serve ice cream. All three of my kids loved it and begged for more.

This recipe makes about three 1/4 cup servings, but it isn't recommended that you double it, since it is so hard to process as is.

Spinach has calcium and iron, and the cherries are great for your joints. Be brave and try it, you won't regret it! . . . You may just want to hide the ingredients from your kids, in case they are like my dad.

Dad hated all things pumpkin, yet he gobbled up dozens of my pumpkin chocolate-chip cookies. That is, until he found out they contained pumpkin, and then he never ate another one. Such silliness.

And talk about silliness--I have not posted that pumpkin cookie recipe yet! I will need to take care of that right away. Which, of course, requires baking some.

Stay tuned! 

1 comment:

  1. It's so pretty in the food processor! We sneak spinach into most of our smoothies and the kids have no idea. It really doesn't have a taste.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!