Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Apple Pie Oatmeal

This picture does not do this breakfast treat justice. (So my camera stinks, but at least there's a picture, okay? grin.)

This was incredible! I have a slow cooker recipe for overnight apple oatmeal, but my crock pot is big and turns everything to charcoal after about 4 hours, so I was afraid to make it. Then I was inspired the next morning to do a "cheater" version. And it was ahhhmazing! I hope you like it! 



Ingredients

  • 1 & 1/2 cups water 
  • 1 & 1/2 cups skim milk 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 1 & 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar 
  • 1 cup Scottish oatmeal (or steel cut oats) 
  • 1 can of apple pie filling (I use Lucky Leaf, which is delish)
  • maple syrup (preferably 100% real stuff)
  • 2 tablespoons of pecans, rough chopped

Directions

In a medium-large sauce pot,  place first six ingredients and bring to a boil.

While waiting for boil, chop up half the apples in the pie filling.

When mixture boils, turn down heat to medium and whisk in the oats (whisking is important so it doesn't lump together while cooking). Then stir in the chopped apples.

Cover, turn to low, and cook for 15 minutes (if using Scottlish oatmeal) or longer (if using steel cut oats -- check the directions for cooking time for one cup). Stir occasionally, to prevent sticking to bottom of pot (but it will still stick somewhat).

While waiting for oats to cook, toast the pecans. In a dry skillet (cast iron works great), heat nuts over medium heat, stirring to prevent scorching, until you can smell them (or 2-3 minutes). Then remove from heat.


When oats are done, they will be a thick, creamy mixture. Ladle into individual bowls, add some more pie filling (to taste) then top with the pecans and maple syrup.

Sit down while eating, because your eyes will roll back in your head.

Okay, maybe I'm being overly dramatic, but apple pie is one of my all-time favorite desserts, and I love wholesome, toothsome breakfasts. This is a dream marriage of those two things.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!